Oh What a tangled web we weave...


Art can be a messy thing, but I think that is what is fun about it. Getting your fingers inky and just making a mess of things. You can literally start out with a blank canvas and transform it into something unimaginable. 


I knew I wanted to do a Halloween wall hanging and when I found this witch image over at VectoriaDesigns the fate of this burlap canvas was sealed.


I started out by rubbing the entire canvas with Texture Terra Cotta by DecoArt. I rubbed it all over the canvas and then used some water to dilute it and make it look more like a paint. I live in Arizona so it didn't take long to dry out in the afternoon sun. If I were to do this again I probably would just add black soot ink to some Gesso. I probably would have gotten the same result, just a lot less messy.

I then added some black soot ink to some white texture paste and stenciled the diamonds to the burlap using my favorite Harlequin Stencil from So Suzy Stamps.


I used some spider web paper from Tim Holtz paper stash for the background and tore all four sides. I distressed the sided using Walnut Stain distressing ink. I had some think twine that has some gold sparkle to it that worked great as a spider web. I wrapped it all over the canvas to create a spider web affect. I just love how it looked.  From there it was just a matter of finding the right embellishments.


Several of the printables I used, include this fabulous Witch Card are from VectoriaDesigns. The Halloween Ticket Stips, Vintage Ticket Strips with Numbers,   If you need some fabulous Halloween printables this year, this is a fantastic place to get them and I have created hyper links that will take you directly to these items in her store.

I spread crackle over the image to enhance the cracked mirror affect. The metal objects are from Tim Holtz's Idea-Ology collection  and the creepy spiders are from Jolee's Boutique.

These collages are so fun to make and I have made several. Over this holiday season I will be trying my hand at several altered art items. They may not all turn out to be success as this one was, but you never know until you try...and it is sure fun getting messy along this journey.

Would love to read your thoughts on this collage. Thanks so much for stopping by!

For more fun and inspiration you an follow me on FacebookInstagramTwitterPinterest and now Periscope

I would like to share my collage with the following challenges:


Vintage Ticket Strips

Witch Cards
Halloween Ticket Strips

19 comments:

  1. Spooky but beautiful! You did a great job with this - I would not know where to begin on such a project! Love all the creepy details you added too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way the black soot looks in the texture paste is uber cool! What an eclectic, vintage halloween card. And I'd totally have to agree with you in terms of the glory of messiness and inkiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I love this! So many elements - a great project. Thanks for joining us over at Creative Artiste this month, hope to see you again.
    Hugs,
    Bev (DT) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, creation Monica, I love all the different elements you have added, the way you coloured the texture paste and all your spooky embellinshments, I love it all... Thank you so much for joining our Challenge over at Creative Artiste this month and we hope to see you again soon...

    Rhonda (DT) xx
    http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. This inspired me so much! Love how it all came together for a spooktacular canvas :) Thanks for playing with us this month at Rhedd's Creative Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love this soooo much! Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant project Monica - I love your wall hanging (apart from the eight legged beasties on there) and they scare the heebie jeebies out of me! The image is wonderful and I do hope you put more of your creations on your site.

    Thank you so much for entering the Crafty Time (Anything but a card) Challenge this month, lots of luck to you.

    Hugs Sue Pxxx DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow awesome card thank you for joining us at Simply Papercraft good luck
    Lyn - DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow so many materials in this collage!! Well done and thanks for joining us over at http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk
    Hugs
    Kerry(DT)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love,love,love this canvas...beautifully laid out and the colour palette is just perfect...
    Thank you for joining in with our challenge this month over at Altered Eclectics...x

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is fantastic - loving it. Thank you for sharing with us over at Altered Eclectics this month and hope to see you again in future challenges.

    Handcrafted by Ellapu
    Mother Hen for Altered Eclectics
    Mother Hen for Eclectic Ellapu
    DT Rhedd's Creative Spirit
    DT The Mirror Crack'd
    DT Anything but a Card

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all the different elements to your creation, looks awesome
    Thank you so very much for joining in our challenge over at Creative Artiste...
    Hugs Debbie DT xx
    http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

    Creative Artiste Challenge Blog
    creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fabulous spooky canvas, I love it, thank you for sharing it with us at Altered Eclectics.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Monica this is a wonderful creation with great attention to detail and perfect for our ‘ANYTHING GOES with a GIRLY TWIST’ challenge. Thanks for sharing your talent with us. Good luck.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Digistamps4Joy DT Member}
    {Would love you to visit my blog and join my 1,100 Follower Give-Away. Thank you so much, if you have already entered, and good luck.}
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spooky in different way and lovely muted colors! Thanks for sharing this with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month. Good Luck. Rupa (DT).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very creepy and cool ! Thank you for joining us at DS4J this month!
    Sara
    www.PolkaDotRosie.blogspot.com
    {Digistamps4Joy DT Member}

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Challeng Winners - February & March 2023

   Hello everyone. As you may have noticed, I have been MIA for the last couple of months. Life has been very busy and it has been difficult...